Opera lecture series to open with OSB Artistic Director, José Maria Condemi.
Santa Barbara, CA, October 4, 2010 – On Wednesday, October 20, Opera Santa Barbara’s new Artistic Director, José Maria Condemi (pictured above directing a singer in a recent production of La Boheme at Seattle Opera), will launch the 2010|2011 “Opera on the Go” lecture series with a discussion of “The Director’s Craft,” beginning at 5:30 p.m. in The McCune Founders Room at The Granada.
Mr. Condemi will describe how he works with conductors, performers and the production team to bring all these elements together into one cohesive performance. The audience will experience first-hand what it takes to portray characters and relationships onstage, when he is joined by two singers for a short demonstration of the nuts and bolts of a director’s job.
Tickets for the lectures are available at the door for: $15 adults/$12 for opera season subscribers/$5 students.
For more information, please visit www.operasb.org.
CONTACT: Marylove Thralls
About José Maria Condemi:
- Called “one of the most promising and impressive directors in all opera.”
- Directorial debut at Lyric Opera of Chicago directing Debora Voight in Tristan und Isolde (08/09). In demand both nationally and internationally.
- Former San Francisco Opera Adler Fellow and Fullbright Scholar
- Has garnered rave reviews for imaginative and “foolproof” staging, most recently for his production of Faust with Patricia Racette for San Francisco Opera.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with contemporary composers and choreographers.
Editors note: Photo opportunities and interviews available on request. Photo shown: J.M. Condemi directing singer in recent production of La Boheme for Seattle Opera.